Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Random School Day #4: eReaders

Well, I'm in school. Again. And I'm done with my work before everyone else. Again. One day, teachers won't get surprised that I actually do my work. It still bewilders me how people don't get their stuff done when they're given the time and resources to finish it in class. Whatever. That's their problem.


The thing I want to discuss today is eReaders. I understand the convenience and all of that, but I just don't understand why you'd want them for all of your books. Personally, I take pride in looking at my bookshelf and seeing it chock full of books. If I just had an eReader, I'd most likely just have a little tiny piece of flatscreen technology that took up no space and had no meaning to me.

Let me make it clear that I do want an eReader. And after looking at all the different types out there, I want a NOOKcolor. (From Barnes and Noble, of course.) There's a lot of nice features about it that I really like including the idea of going into a book store and being able to sample books and read them for up to an hour. I think that's a really good idea. As well as being able to do things like check email. Also, it allows Pandora. Which, to me, is a huge bonus because I love Pandora.

But, here are some of the things about eReaders that I would just like to say:

Maybe I'm just a sentimental fool and take my books to seriously and personally. I probably am. Some books mean a lot to me. I write in them. Which is something I can't do with an eReader. Also, the feel and smell of an eReader is no comparison to the feel and smell of a book. And it may sound stupid, but think about it for a moment.


Also, I take pride in walking around with some big book that I'm enjoying reading. People look and think, "Wow, they are such a nerd. Look at that huge book they're reading." Or they'll even ask you what book it is, and you can get someone to read a huge book. If you're reading on an eReader, people will think, "Look at that rich person reading on their technological book." Or something similar. I like being noticed as a nerd. Again, that's probably just me.


I do understand the point of having an eReader. I'm not saying their bad. I want one myself, but I don't think they'll take over printed books. I want an eReader so I can take it on vacation with me instead of taking lots of books, and for books that I kind of like, but really don't want taking up space on my bookshelf. There are books that I will probably have a copy of in print and on an eReader. And there are some books that I will just have on print because I feel like they deserve that status.


Can you imagine, in 50 years, that there will be no libraries? Only buildings that have eBooks you can borrow. You wouldn't even have to leave your house. You could just download them for a short period of time to read it and then it'll disappear off of your eReader. Library buildings won't even exist anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment