Saturday, October 23, 2010

Secretariat Movie Review

I can remember going to horse races and watching the Triple Crown races ever since I was a little kid. Hearing about all these great race horses, like Secretariat, was always just a fantasy to me. Even when Big Brown almost won the Triple Crown in 2008, winning the Triple Crown was something I could never actually see happening.

Well, Disney finally brought Secretariat to life. The biggest part that made it good was great camera angles. However, the writing and acting wasn't as great as I hoped it would be.

By some insane miracle, five different horses were found to play the horse Secretariat. Four thoroughbreds and one quarter horse. They did a great job finding beautiful horses that looked like the real Secretariat.

The movie didn't really have much of an interesting plot. The best part of the movie was watching the races. The plot and characters were not very deep or interesting. I wish the plot was more in depth and interesting.

The only two characters that really drove the movie were Lucien Laurin (John Malkovich) and Eddie Sweat (Nelsan Ellis). They both were funny and serious enough to make them seem real. I reallly liked Ellis as Eddie. A particular highlight was when he ran out onto the track the morning of the Derby and shouted, "Big Red ate his breakfast this morning...!" That was a great line that I absolutely loved. Malkovich also did a great job of portraying Lucien Laurin.

The one thing that truly made the movie was the camera angles and shots used during the races. The way they portrayed the horses and the points of view they showed put a whole new direction on how I look at horse racing.

If you haven't gone to see it already, I would say wait until it comes out on video, but still watch it. It's worth seeing. Especially if you don't know the ending of the last race.

3 1/2 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment