Monday, August 2, 2010

Inception

I am fully aware that this movie has been out for a long time, but I still feel the need to review it. I believe I’ve put together a completely spoiler free review, so no worries to those who haven’t seen it yet.

Inception is another great movie from Christopher Nolan (who also directed The Dark Knight among other movies) Another amazing, mind-blowing movie. I went into the theater expecting a great movie, just because of all the hype I’d heard from friends. I came out of the theater unable to think. It was quite literally “mind-blowing”. It makes you think about so many levels of reality and so many aspects of the inner workings of the mind. I congratulate everyone who worked on this movie for not going insane.

Now, going into the theater, I actually didn’t know that much about the movie. I was aware that the movie was about dreams and creating them. Other than that, I knew that it starred Leonardo DiCaprio and Ellen Page, two very popular, talented actors. Besides them, this movie was full of familiar faces: Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who I recognized from G.I. Joe: Rise of the Cobra as well as a number of other movies, and Ken Watanabe, who many will recognize from The Last Samurai.

As well as a star cast, this movie had great writing and dialogue, which, nowadays, is a rare thing. I was surprised at the lack of romance in this movie, but not disappointed. It would have taken away from the plot itself.

The plotline in this movie is very complicated, and I don’t suggest it to someone who just wants to casually watch a movie. It makes you think the whole time, and if you left to go to the bathroom, you’d come back more confused than when you left. As well as thinking the whole duration of the movie, you’ll be thinking about the movie the rest of the day and well into the night.

The special effects in this movie were great and like nothing I’ve ever seen before. Not that they were anything special in and of themselves. However, the way they are used within the movie and plot is great. I’m a little disappointed that it wasn’t made in 3D, but with the intenseness of the movie, it might have been a little too much and a little too overwhelming.

I did see the movie in IMAX, which, in the case of this movie, is exactly the same as regular showing, except on a much larger screen with better sound quality. Would I recommend seeing it in IMAX? If you have money to spare, it will add to the experience, but you won’t lose anything if you just see it in a regular showing.

All together, I give this movie 5 well-earned stars. A great movie I highly recommend seeing to anyone who’s looking for a new, interesting movie. It’s unlike anything I’ve ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment